[Digikam-users] DigiKam Lockup

Mick Sulley mick at sulley.info
Sun Jan 26 11:50:21 GMT 2014

Several times recently I have experienced DigiKam locking up my whole
system.  I cannot identify a specific action, it seems to be fairly
random when it happens.  In order to try to understand it better I have
started running system monitor before I start DigiKam.

What I see is that when I start using DigiKam the processor and memory
usage is fairly low but when the problem occurs it is using almost all
of the memory (16 Gb) and half of the swap space (32 Gb).  The mouse
movement is very jerky, Alt Tab does not work, any music playing has
many gaps, etc.  It is still only using 1 or 2% of the processor.

This happens during fairly easy DigiKam operations, tagging faces,
moving pictures, etc, I am not doing any bulk recognition or anything.

I am running Debian Jessie and DigiKam 3.5.0 using KDE 4.11.3

Questions -
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Is there anything I can do to provide more information?
If I increase my memory from 16 Gb to 32 Gb is it likely to fix it or
will DigiKam just use all of that when the problem occurs?

Thanks
Mick