[Digikam-users] How to import/export picasa stars?

mix4music david.merckle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:05:25 GMT 2014

I've had the same problem as you and I found a solution.

Picasa stars are written in the .picasa.ini file, for each directory in the
picasa albums.

I wrote a python script that processes the .picasa.ini in a directory, finds
the starred images, and writes a "5 stars" Exif metadata to the
corresponding files :

picasaStarsToExif.py
<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/n4668155/picasaStarsToExif.py>

Use it as following :

picasaStarsToExif.py  directoryContainingPicasaIni

You will need the python module pyexiv2 to run it. (sudo apt-get install
python-pyexiv2)

It only supports JPG and jpg extensions, but you can easily modify the
script to support other extensions.

Digikam imports this metadata to its own database for new images. For images
already in your digikam collection, you need to use the option "re-read
metadata from the image" in the album or image menu.

To apply the script recursively in all subdirectories of your image
collection, you may run (from the top of your collection) :

 find . -type d -exec [scriptLocation]/picasaStarsToExif.py {} \;

After that, you need to re-read metadata from all images in Digikam. The
simplest and fastest way I've found to do that is to use the search tool of
Digikam to find "everything". I've searched for the keyword "JPG", then
selected all photos, then used the option to re-read metadata from selected
images (image menu). Then, the same for the "jpg" keyword. (All  my images
have a "JPG" or "jpg" extension.) If your collection is big, it takes a
while (and may freeze digikam), but once done, all your picasa stars have
been converted to 5 stars in Digikam !

Hope this helps.