[Digikam-users] File weight different in Digikam than in other file management tools

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 21:47:16 GMT 2014

Hi Martin,

Obviously, my explanation wasn't clear enough as you appear to be the only
one to have understood what I meant. ;-)

2014/1/20 Martin Gerner <martin at gerner.co>

> I assume that you mean that the same file seems to have two different
> file sizes? This is likely due to different definitions of what a
> "kilobyte" is.
>
> The symbol "k" technically represents 1000, but in computer science
> often means 1024 (2^10). 1024 should technically be called "Ki".

Have known this for more than 30 years, you know. :D

> My guess would be that your file has a size of around 297490 bytes. This
> would be 297.5 kilobyte using a 1000-byte kilobyte, or 290.5 kilobyte
> using a 1024-byte kilobyte
>
> You should find out how large the kilobytes in your contest is - 1000 or
> 1024 bytes. :)

May I should have tried to load the biggest one, and risk to be
eliminated...

> Coincidentally, my version of Digikam (3.5) seems to use the correct
> units - looking at the properties of one photo, I can see that its size
> is 2.8 MiB (2.8 * 1024 * 1024 bytes). What version are you using?
>
> --  Martin

I'm using 3.5 too.

Marie-Noëlle

--
<http://marie-noelle-augendre.com/photos/>
Retrouvez mon portfolio et mes activités dans ma galerie