[Digikam-users] Update, clean, and move database?

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Thu Jan 9 17:15:10 GMT 2014

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, jdd wrote:

> Le 09/01/2014 15:45, Jean-François Rabasse a écrit :
>
>> This is the kind of bet I refuse to do, too dangerous.
>
> it is enough to move photo outside of digikam to lose the metadata from the
> database...

Right :) Or to rename an edited image file between two Digikam sessions.
It's seen as a new image, and previous associated metadata vanish.

> a good alternative is to use sidecars, easy to keep with images and easy to
> remove when necessary

Yes. And it's a safe data backup. The only problem with sidecars is that
it's not fully interoperable between different applications. E.g. if you
have your metadata in Digikam DB and sidecar files, Gwenview won't show
anything. Applications like Picasa won't either, etc.

Anyway, restoring metadata into images from sidecar files is as easy
as removing metadata from images files, cf. supra.
So the idea remains the same, metadata in DB AND in XMP format, be it
a sidecar file and/or the image file itself.

Regards,
Jean-François