[Digikam-users] Workflow with gimp

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Thu Jan 2 17:03:57 GMT 2014

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your input :)

On Torsdag den 2. januar 2014 17:51:01, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> Am 02.01.2014 17:27, schrieb Anders Lund:
> > I will probably do the raw conversion using digikams editor, and global
> > adjustments, but after that I will need an external application, so
> >
> > - which fileformat is best? png, tif, jpeg?
>
> I use png. Good compression (I use 5). All information remains.
> tiff files are too large IMHO
> jpeg is lossy, I only convert to jpg in the end for the web copies

I'll try with that :)

> > - concerns about metadata?
>
> I don't care about metadata in the edited images. I always strip the
> original metatdata (it remains in the raws which I never delete). But I
> guess this is not typical for many users...

Well not me, at least, I like metadata in the images :) So fra, gimp behaved well,
it maintained about all meta data from a jpeg I tested with.

> Happy new year!

:)

I guess gimp will take some time to learn, but boy, I wish I could do adjustment
layers/masked layers, healing brush and so in a KDE app :)
(Krita does some of that, but not all)

--
Anders