[Digikam-users] Remove tags from jpg using Digikam

Wolfgang Mader Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de
Tue Feb 18 19:16:50 GMT 2014

Dear list,

this will be my last attempt to learn how to remove tags from pictures using
Digikam. Please note, I am running Digikam 3.5.0, so please do not tell me
that there was an error concerning tags _prior_ to 3.5.0, I have already
upgraded. With this out of the way, here is the issue.

I want to remove tags which I have attached to images in the past using
digikam. I tried
1)
right click on the image -> Remove Tags, than I selected every single tag by
itself.

2)
Image -> Metadata -> Edit all Metadata, then remove the tags and keywords
separately for exif, iptc, xmp

After both those procedures, no tags are shown any more in Digikam, but if I
hit Image->"Reread Metadata from File" they appear again. Using exiv2 on a file
which has been stripped with method 1) or 2) results in the following

exiv2 -p a image.jpg | grep Pflanzen
Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto.LastKeywordXMP            XmpSeq      1  Pflanzen/Blume
Xmp.digiKam.TagsList                         XmpSeq      1  Pflanzen/Blume
Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject                   XmpBag      1  Pflanzen|Blume

Here I greped for the name of a tag to give an example. As you can see, the
Xmp part is still present, and was not removed when I asked digikam to do so.
I write xmp sidecar files for every image.

Now the question: Am I doing something wrong? Is this an error in digikam?
Should I go for good old command line do remove those tags?

If this turns out to be a bug I am happy to hunt down more examples.

Thank you,
Wolfgang