[Digikam-users] Lossless rotation is lossy!

Bast! bast at abwesend.de
Mon Apr 14 19:46:54 BST 2014

Hmm, like I said, I checked the result of the rotation and it was indeed
lossy. Here is what I did in Gimp:

take an JPG file and duplicate it.
Open one of the images in Digikam and rotate it.
Open this image in Gimp.
drag and drop the other image into gimp, into the same project.
add it as a new layer.
rotate the layer so it fits onto the other image by
Layer/transform/Rotate 90 degrees
select the top layer and chose the mode "difference".
copy all visible (ctrl+shift+C)
paste as new layer (edit/paste as/layer)
select this layer and open the dialog Colors/levels
the value for the input levels on the right I set to 1 (from 255) and
hit ok.

If this image is totally black, and only then, the rotation was
lossless. If you see colored dots, it was lossy, since this is the
(probably not visible, but existing nonetheless) difference the rotation
introduced.

Or am I missing something?

Like I said, other means of lossless rotation tested do result in a
complete black (meaning zero difference) differencial map.

cheers
Bast!