[Digikam-users] Color managed view too bright?

Torsten Crass torsten.crass at eBiology.de
Thu Apr 10 23:55:40 BST 2014

Hi there,

in spite of spending days and weeks on reading on various aspects of
color management, I still don't quite get the meaning of the "color
managed view" checkboxes in DigiKams CM settings. What puzzles me in
particular is the following: I'm using a profiled (using a ColorHug
device) and calibrated (using xcalib with the derived profile) monitor.
When viewing a pure black image (generated with imagemagick) in DigiKam
and activating color managed view, the image is displayed -- brighter!
Well, admittedly as a *very* dark gray, but definitely brighter than
with color managed view deactivated. So how can that possibly be? I
would have thought that sRGB black should stay black, even when
converted into the monitor's gamut! I mean, the monitor obviously is
capable of displaying darker colors!

Any ideas?

	Torsten