[Digikam-users] Creating a collage

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Mon Sep 2 19:47:16 BST 2013

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013, Anders Lund wrote:

> There appears to be no tool in KDE, that allows me to create a collage/montage
> combining a few images into one :(

Hi Anders,

With the ImageMagik package, there's plenty of command line tools, not
just the convert program.

To do montages there's ... montage.
Using the proper options, you can do exactly the layout you wish.

E.g. montage of IMG1.jpg and IMG2.jpg, side by side from left to right :
   montage -geometry +2+0 -tile 2x1 IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg FinalImage.jpg

+2+0 means to add 2 pixels horizontal between images, but can be 0 or
whatever.

Montage of two images, but in top bottom order :
   montage -geometry +0+2 -tile 1x2 IMG1.jpg IMG2.jpg FinalImage.jpg

The -tile argument specifies layout in columns x lines form.
Montage of 4 images, 2 then 2 under, would be  -tile 2x2, etc.

This tool is very efficient and fast, and you can use it in scripts.
Have a look at the program documentation, there's many options.

Regards,
Jean-François