[Digikam-users] Interoperability with Darktable

Matthew Marlowe matt at professionalsysadmin.com
Mon Oct 28 18:52:47 GMT 2013

I'm also using darktable with digikam.  My understanding is that darktable
has some photo management functionality, but the development focus remains
on raw processing and other programs like digikam are expected to handle
any non-trivial photo management requirements.

Currently, my workflow is:
a)  Import raw files from SDcard via digikam to ~/video/digikam/cr2 folder.
b)  Copy over all raw files for a month to a new folder within digikam -
~/video/digikam/archive/year/year-month/raw
c)  Import the cr2s from ~video/digikam/archive/year/year-month/raw to
darktable
d)  Have darktable process selected raws and deleted undesired stills.
Export cropped png files to ~/video/digikam/png folder
e)  When all photos for a particular event are completed, perform
watermarking and any minor tuning that me be easier to perform within
digikam and then batch convert to jpg and place final photos in
~/video/digikam/year/year-month/eventname
f)   Tag jpgs as appropriate and then using kipi-plugins, upload to flickr
or other services to publish
g)  remove leftover png files, if I need to edit files significantly in the
future - I can just re-export the raws from darktable - this is relatively
rare.

Do I wish there was better integration between digikam and darktable? yes
-- but the current workflow seems to work fine w/o any issues in either
app.  Yes, I realize that my raws aren't tagged but the jpgs are and the
jpg filenames are almost identical to the raws.