[Digikam-users] digikam not showing Darwin Core metadata

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:52:00 GMT 2013

2013/11/26 Alan Pater <alan.pater at gmail.com>:
> Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. I just have a couple of notes
> and another question.
>
> The photos I am working with are from a camera trap project in the western
> amazon, Darwin Core allows embedding information that is relevant to
> researchers studying biodiversity. Basically we are dealing with photos of
> animals taken in the wild.
>
> exiftool was mentioned and I should mention that it supports full read/write
> support for DwC (Darwin Core). That's how I embedded the sample metadata to
> some test images.
>
> http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,4442.0/all.html?PHPSESSID=9noeti9c1lphv27ricp7ru6956
>
> Would it be necessary to get read/write support built into exiv2 in order to
> allow digikam full access to this metadata?

yes, it's definitively better.

Exiv2 has a table of XMP namespace with contents and format of data. I
personalty patch this table to add and update digiKam and kipi-plugins
XMP namespace. Look here :

http://dev.exiv2.org/projects/exiv2/repository/entry/trunk/src/properties.cpp#L181

Note : as you can see DwC namespace is not present here... This will
not mean that we cannot read and write tags in this namespace, but
this want mean that client applications need to know this namespace
contents to play with it.