[Digikam-users] Hardware Advice Please

Milan Knížek knizek.confy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 19:41:16 GMT 2013

Mick Sulley píše v Ne 03. 11. 2013 v 19:04 +0000:
> I am about to build a new desktop PC.  I think the most demanding task
> will be DigiKam and I would welcome advice on components.

Others said a lot usefull info. On my part, I have given up investing
into a high end graphics card, mainly there was not a single GPU vendor
providing support for all of the GPU processing technologies at once:
Open CL/CUDA/VDPAU/... Hence choosing one vendor would lock me out of
some applications, which may not support that particular technology.

Hence I ended up with Intel i7 2600K (4 cores, 2 threads per core) +
embedded GPU by Intel + two 1 TB harddrives in RAID 0 (mirror) setup.
The good thing is relatively low energy consumption, embedded GPU is
enough for me.

I do not do much editing in digiKam and in real life the bottleneck
still seems to be I/O from HDD, no matter that just a single thread is
utilised.

For darktable, video conversion, occasional compilation, etc. the 8
threads are a great speed-up.

The situation may change in the future radically, since there are more
and more SoC (system on chip) implementation and less people buy a
separate GPU already nowadays. We'll see, what the vendors do...

cheers,
Milan

--
http://milan-knizek.net/
About linux and photography (Czech only)