[Digikam-users] how do you select images for slide show?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 8 17:40:08 BST 2013

On Wednesday 08 May 2013 15:25:49 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Onsdag den 8. maj 2013 22:17:57, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> > Hmm, you could, eg, create a tag "Slideshow Vietnam". Tag the files you
> > want. Later turn on a filter to show only these tagged files, select
them
> > all, copy to memory stick.
> > > Dear All
>
> In addition to tags, digikam also have colored labels, flags and ratings
> help you select :)

Well, I find those more useful earlier on in the process, to indicate
preferences and/or restrictions, if only because there are so few of them.

Personally, I find a hierarchy of tags the easiest to use, in this case:
/slideshow and then subtags, e.g. /slideshow/Vietnam,
/slideshow/Vietnam/short. A /~/~/long tag would be superfluous if your
short slideshow is a selection from the long one.

As for the multiple copies problem:
I convert my RAW files to PNG (at maximum size) for further editing, but
any final file will be a JPG, scaled to planned use, to minimise the space
occupied. And for those I don't mind having several copies lying around.

And yes, I do the conversion from PNG to JPG with the batch queue:
scale to final size, a bit of sharpening (amount depending on output
medium), add metadata with copyright and contact info, and convert to jpeg.

Then, how are you going to present your slide show:
- a standalone presentation, with automatic progression, or
- manual progression while you present the images?

For a stand-alone presentation, I usually generate a video file, with all
transitions baked in.

Remco