[Digikam-users] editing with Color Management enabled is very slow?

Erik Felthauser efelthauser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:29:42 GMT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Elle Stone <l.elle.stone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/24/13, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> Letting KDE or Gnome Desktop color management handle all ICC profile
> conversions from the image window to the display screen would require
> a rewrite of all the color-managed applications to remove or at least
> make optional the relevant color-conversion code (to avoid
> double-conversions), and a rewrite of the Gnome AND the KDE Desktop
> code to add ICC profile conversion code, plus the ability to detect
> which color-managed application window wants which ICC profile.
>
> It seems to me that having the Desktop do all ICC profile conversions
> from the image window to the display screen would limit the user's and
> also the editing application's creative choices: What if the user
> wanted to use relative colorimetric intent for one open application,
> perceptual for another? Or use a LUT monitor profile for one
> application and a matrix monitor profile for another? Or use
> highest-quality ICC profile conversion for one open application and a
> lower-quality profile conversion for another?
>
> What if you are trying to softproof to the screen in one open
> application, while in another you are merely looking at images? What
> if one application wants to use cairo and another doesn't? I've looked
> at the ICC profile conversion code in digiKam (older version), Krita,
> Cinepaint, and Gimp. All of these color-managed applications use LCMS
> (1 or 2, depending). But each of them uses LCMS ***very***
> differently, even for such a "simple" thing as sending information to
> the display screen.

Of course, I agree that many aspects of color management should be at the
application level for greatest control by the user. I just wish it isn't
(and don't know why it seems to be) so slow using it in digiKam. (I still
need to try making a new profile w/ my colorimeter, maybe trying new
settings.) Not sure if there is indeed a mis-connect going on somewhere, or
maybe digiKam's CM can be changed, if not already, to leverage multiple CPU
cores and/or GPU.

In any case, I think I am seeing correct colors without it for now, since
my monitor profile (created with RBG option) that's set in system is
correcting my monitor, and my images are (s)RGB.

> On 3/24/13, Erik Felthauser <efelthauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Elle Stone <l.elle.stone at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> When you look at "Settings/Color Management/Profiles/Monitor profile",
> >> what does it say? Can you choose a different profile than the one that
> >> is pre-selected? If the answer is yes, then probably digiKam isn't
> >> picking up the system-set profile, or else there really isn't a
> >> system-set profile.
> >>

> > Yes, I am able to select a different monitor profile even when system
> > monitor device correction profile is set via colord, actually, I have to,
> > because I do not even have such an option as "Monitor Profile from System
> > Settings" in my DK CM monitor profile list... It appears digiKam (i'm
> > running 3.0.0.) is not aware of colord or something. Maybe it is an issue
> > with KDE not announcing properly, maybe digiKam not listening, or maybe
> my
> > setup in particular...
>
> That is interesting. As you say, it appears that digiKam (a KDE/qt
> app) isn't aware that colord assigned a system monitor profile. Do you
> have Gimp (a Gnome/gtk app) on your computer? Is Gimp aware that you
> have a system monitor profile?

> Elle

I have not had access to my production machine. I'll check and report this
evening.