[Digikam-users] Opening raw file from different programs shows different results

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 06:17:29 BST 2013

Raw file are not processed by camera as JPEG. Computer need to
reproduce all settings, adjustments, corrections, etc, done by camera
firmware (closed source).

Each program open source from Linux use a dedicated implementation,
all based on dcraw implementation.

digiKam use Libraw.

Can you image the complexity of task to process this type of image
properly and in same conditions for all program.

RAW cannot be processed automatically with best result. This require
at least some human adjustments. RAW <> JPEG.

Read generic documentation about RAW before to play with it.

Gilles Caulier