[Digikam-users] How to update photo collections?

brad bkn at ithryn.net
Fri Jan 18 20:49:05 GMT 2013

On Friday, January 18, 2013 02:29:39 PM Kim wrote:
> Dropbox is an online back up site (dropbox.com), they have both free and
> paid options.  You can either upload your files to it for a backup or
> install their app that puts a folder called dropbox on your hard drive.
> Any files you put in that are uploaded to your dropbox account.  Their
> app keeps your hard drive folder and your account on their website in
> sync.  If you change a file it uploads the newest copy to their server
> when you have closed that file.
> So the photos are physically on my hard drive at all times.
>
> I have my dropbox folder set up as it's own collection in DK.

I assume it is a Local Collection, not a network share or removable drive
style of collection? Do you use dropbox across multiple machines or just as a
backup service for a single machine?

umm. I installed dropbox on my computer, and DK see files normally. With DK
open, if i copy files into the dropbox/photos directory on my local machine, DK
picks up the changes straightaway.

your distribution runs enlightenment as an environment, correct? I wonder if
there are some programs that are not running that are necessary for monitoring
files. I know KDE has a million programs needed for communication between
programs. I would test by installing and running KDE, then try to use DK w/
dropbox within KDE, perhaps file monitoring will work then. I could be totally
off-base on this. Since i wasn't able to reproduce your problem, i'm only
guessing at a solution.

Although you do see new files in other folders appear in DK that are not in
dropbox, right? It is puzzling.

> Is there an "easy" way I can install the latest stable version of DK?
> I've been using linux for almost a year now, but still consider myself a
> newbie.

i don't believe i can be much help here, i am not familiar with your distro,
and i run DK from its source code. which means i am running a recent version
of digikam (not v2.4) so its possible that a bug has been squashed relating to
this behavior.

> Oh and even with going down a version, it still looks like it stops
> about 39% into scanning for new images.

ugh, i guess it isn't your day. sorry we can't be more helpful.

cheers,
 - b