[Digikam-users] What is being/will be done about the tags management problem?

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 19 15:18:53 GMT 2013

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Tue, February 19, 2013 11:16 am, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:
>> The tags synchronization issue has been poisoning the life
>
> Sorry, I am not sure I understand what kind of synchronization you are
> referring right now. SYnchronization between in-picture metadata and
> database, or something else? May Iask you to point to the threads where
> the specific problem you refer to has been already discussed?

Hello Marco,

Synchronization, as for this tags issue, means comparing metadata in
the image (XMP section of the image file) to metadata associated to
that image in the Digikam database.

If you have, say three tags for a Digikam image, Writing metadata to
image will copy exactly these tags to the XMP section of the file.

If now, « from outside » (i.e. using some other software than DK),
you remove these three tags and put two differents ones, your image
file reflect the two new tags only.
And when, in Digikam, you Re-read metadata from image, the image
will have five associated tags ! The two read from the file, plus the
three previous obsolete ones. And thus your database state is « out of
synchronization » wrt. to image tags.

Jean-François