[Digikam-users] Digikam XMP schema ?

Volker Henn vh59 at gmx.de
Sun Feb 17 10:22:11 GMT 2013

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2013, 11:06:51 schrieb Jean-François Rabasse:

> > by the way, what is faster, sqllite (old database format) or mysql?
>
> Probably not a software issue but an installation issue. Applications
> using databases run faster when the DB server is on a separate machine
> connected via a high speed network (Gigabit ethernet or IP on Infiniband)
> because the CPU running the application is/are relaxed from the SLQ
> request (heavy) processing.
> But if your MySQL server runs on the same computer, the difference with
> SQLlite will be small. (And in favor of SQLite because it features less
> things, so does a lighter processing.)
>
> Regards,
> Jean-François

Hi, mysql is on the same machine.

With sqlite I obseverd that obviously (no guarantee) when a single change is
made, the whole database is written to hard disk. Then read again, next change
made, completely written again. This take lot of time, since I organize my
pictures in directories instead with tags, so I always shift a lot of files.
Mysql seems to have a better chache strategy. Nevertheless there are problems
with DK / mysql and the database user must be root.

Regards Volker