[Digikam-users] Tethered shooting with digikam, and thumbs

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Thu Dec 19 17:10:28 GMT 2013

AndersOn Torsdag den 19. december 2013 16:22:48,  Lund wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Just for the fun, I will install gphoto2 and see if it works using the cli
> interface. Reports follow when I have some results.... :)
>
> Anders

Ok, a short follow up:

I can do tethered shooting with gphoto2, simply

$ gphoto2 --capture-tethered

This will download each image to the current folder, and delete it from the
camera. A script can be called to display the image, that is yet to do, since
I shoot in RAW. Gwenview can not display thumbs from my RAW images, it seems.
I could use showfoto, but that would cause the images to be converted, which
takes time.

Maybe it is possible to use dbus to show the images in digikam or showfoto as
they are shot. It would be fun to have the option inside digikam, and images
renamed and put into folder as desired by user, and of course displayed as
shot.

Using gphoto2, I can also capture an image immediately, or capture-and-
download:

$ gphoto2 --capture-image
$ gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download

This means that the capture menu item should be fixable, I believe.

The preview fetching does not do anything, trying it, I get something like
this:

[anders at kamelon t]$ gphoto2 --get-thumbnail 3
Hjemhenter 'IMG_2890.CR2' fra mappe '/store_00010001/DCIM/129EOS7D'...
Hjemhenter 'IMG_2890.CR2' fra mappe '/store_00010001/DCIM/129EOS7D'...

("Hjemhenter" means something like fetching). But no file is available in the
cwd after that.

So maybe digikam isn't alone having this problem...

Anders

> On Torsdag den 19. december 2013 16:18:17, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > Anders,
> >
> > I implemented this feature few year ago using an old Olympus C3030Z
> > which is supported tethering through GPhoto2.
> >
> > This device is dead now. My new Sony camera only support PTP protocol
> > through Gphoto and tethering do not work.
> >
> > So, i cannot debug this part actually...
> >
> > Best
> >
> > Gilles Caulier
> >
> > 2013/12/19 Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk>:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I read lots of photo articles recently, and came to read about tethered
> > > shooting. Of cause I immediately thought that would be possible with
> > > digikam ;)
> > >
> > > So I connected my canon eos 7d, and started to look. What I found is
> > > that
> > > in the import window, in the "device" menu there is a menu item
> > > indicating that this is possible.
> > >
> > > However, it does not work. What happens is that the mirror appears to be
> > > opened, but not closed again, and no image is captured. A small dialog
> > > appears, with "help", "capture" and "cancel" buttons. Help have no
> > > information about this issue, "capture" appears to close the camera
> > > mirror and then open it again, while "cancel" seems to do nothing.
> > >
> > > Dummy thumbs appears in the window, but they can not be displayed or
> > > downloaded.
> > >
> > > Now, did anyone ever try this, and maybe even experience succes with it?
> > >
> > > As part of my exploring, I clicked the device->information menu item,
> > > which
> > > shows information about my camera - maybe from gphoto? This dialog
> > > indicates that it should be possible to get thumbnails from my in camera
> > > photos, and that capturing images using gphoto should be possible. This
> > > of cause reminds me that there are no thumbs in the import dialog, and I
> > > really wonder why this have not been fixed, an issue for as long as I
> > > can
> > > remember.
> > >
> > > Is the missing thumbs in the import dialog a canon specific problem? Or
> > > does any canon dslr users actually have thumbnails? And what about users
> > > of other camera brands?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Anders

Anders