[Digikam-users] Inpainting filter

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Wed Dec 11 10:53:25 GMT 2013

On Tirsdag den 10. december 2013 19:06:36, Carl McGrath wrote:
> I run Dk3.5.0 on openSUSE 12.3/KDE 4.11.4
>
> Took me a while to find inpainting - it is a tool when edit sub-process
> is open.
>
> I selected an area and "try" - got no useful response, just like Anders.
> Maybe it would crash if I waited long enough?

I believe the idea behind inpainting is something like the healing brush in
krita (or that other image editing app out) - use the surroundings to cover an
area that sticks out, like a spot or zit or ridge.

Maybe I am wrong when saying crash, inpaint rather disables digikam, it
sometimes goes into an infinite, blocking state of doing nothing, with busy
cursor on. My only solution to that is to kill the digikam process.

The digikam manual contains an example of using inpainting, which is exactly
similar to what I want to achieve, but I NEVER made it work.

I have to say that I have given up on trying to use this plugin. I try to
learn to use krita instead, which offers a lot more options, such as filter
masks, layers etc.

If you'd like to use krita for retouching, look at the options for the
"duplicate" brush, which apart from dumb cloning have a "healing" option that
can be enabled for very handy behavior with photos.

I'm yet to find out how using krita will affect metadata handling.

Anders

> On 12/10/2013 06:55 AM, Anders Lund wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Can anyone make the inpainting filter do anything? Once in a while, I try
> > to use this to remove a zit, a dust spot or some other small annoyance in
> > a photo. But it never does anything useful. Currently, it often crashes
> > digikam.
> >
> > What I try to do is, straight ahead: Select an area with a spot, select
> > the
> > "remove small artefact", and press "try". I never get a usable result, as
> > indicated in the manual.
> >
> > A sample of a typical selection is attached.
> >
> > Any demonstration of a succesfull use of this tool would be very wellcome,
> > the more detailled the better.

Anders