[Digikam-users] Can digiKam write to Canon cr2 files?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 14:34:12 BST 2013

2013/8/27 jdd <jdd at dodin.org>:
> Le 27/08/2013 13:33, Gilles Caulier a écrit :
>

>> Considerate XMP sidecar as the best universal alternative. Sure it's
>> add new file in your collection, but size are negligible compared to
>> image data.
>

> true, but sidecar files a not standars and so can't be used to transfer
> metadata for example to online gallery

It's completely wrong ! XMP is standardized by Adobe. But it's true
that 3rd party applications are not able to manage it properly. But's
it's another problem here...

> just to point about the "universal" adjective. Of course I wont ever write
> to raw file, only to jpeg

This is what i do too.

Typically, i shot RAW + JPEG in particular condition, where i know
that JPEG can be a failure in workflow.

...else JPEG is really enough to work in 90% of case, and it's enough.

I'm waiting that camera constructor use a replacement of JPEG
supporting 16 bits color depth instead 8 bits... or why not, improve
JPEG standard to support a better color depth. It's already the case
of JPEG used in medecine which support lossless compression and 12
bits color depth. Note that an higher color to JPEG is possible, as
DNG use it to store RAW data with 16 bits color depth...

Gilles Caulier