[Digikam-users] IPTC: Person Shown / PersonInImage [Take 2]

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Tue Apr 16 00:59:51 BST 2013

Jack,

*try again, with minor changes*

Your original request centred around the IPTC 'PersonInImage' tag. At
present DigiKam does not allow this IPTC 'PersonInImage'tag to be
changed, although if the value is set using other tools you can see the
value in the metadata section of the right panel.

What Erik is describing is an alternative approach used by many on this
list -- the use of Keyword Tags to flag who is in the picture.

Essentially you can create a Keyword Tag for each unique entity and
check these Keyword Tags if the person is seen in the picture (see
manual on how to create tags). These Keyword Tags can also be easily
used to filter your collection to show, say all photos with your Mum in it.

If you are hung up on using the IPTC 'PersonInImage' tag you may wish to
look at exiv2 on linux or exiftools on Windows/Mac. These
tools/libraries are able to set this value. All you would need to do is
set the value using a script of sorts depending on your operating system.

exiv2 -- http://www.exiv2.org/
exiftools -- http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

According to exiv2 manpage the value PersonInImage can be set using the
following command (I check this worked on Ubuntu)...

exiv2 -M"add Xmp.iptcExt.PersonInImage Mr Periwinkle" image.jpg

You will need to check with the packages you normally use whether this
is going where you/they expect. When I inspect this image in digiKam the
inserted value is in the "IPTC Extension schema" where the standard says
it should be -- as stated although showing the value inserted I can not
edit the data with digiKam.

http://www.exiv2.org/manpage.html
http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-iptc.html
http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-iptcExt.html

I hope this helps.

On 16/04/13 09:53, Simon Cropper wrote:
> Jack,
>
> Your original request centred around the IPTC 'PersonInImage'. At
> present DigiKam does not allow this IPTC tag to be changed, although
> if the value is set using other tools you can see the value in the
> metadata section of the right panel.
>
> What Erik is describing is an alternative approach used by many on this
> list -- the use of tags to flag who is in the picture.
>
> Essentially you can create a tag for each unique entity and check these
> tags if the person is seen in the picture (see manual on how to create
> tags). These tags can also be easily used to filter your collection to
> show, say all photos with your Mum in it.
>
> If you are hung up on using the IPTC option you may wish to look at
> exiv2 on linux or exiftools on Windows/Mac. These tools/libraries are
> able to set this value. All you would need to do is set the value using
> a script of sorts depending on your operating system.
>
> exiv2 -- http://www.exiv2.org/
> exiftools -- http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
>
> According to exiv2 manpage the value PersonInImage can be set using the
> following command (I check this worked on Ubuntu)...
>
> exiv2 -M"add Xmp.iptcExt.PersonInImage Mr Periwinkle" image.jpg
>
> You will need to check with the packages you normally use whether this
> is going where you/they expect. When I inspect this image in digiKam the
> inserted value is in the "IPTC Extension schema" where the standard says
> it should be -- as stated although showing the value inserted I can not
> edit the data with digiKam.
>
> http://www.exiv2.org/manpage.html
> http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-iptc.html
> http://www.exiv2.org/tags-xmp-iptcExt.html
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> On 12/04/13 18:35, Jack Tummers wrote:
>> Thanks, but I have no idea what you mean :(
>> 'and find or add the people section...' Adding a people's section? How
>> do I do that? And is that exactly the same as the IPTC Extension
>> 'PersonInImage'?
>>

>> Op 10-04-13 14:52, Erik Felthauser schreef:
>>>
>>> right click, add sub-tag.
>>>
>>> On Apr 10, 2013 3:42 AM, "Jack Tummers" <jack at jacktummers.nl
>>> <mailto:jack at jacktummers.nl>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On the left there is nothing yet, because I haven't added any
>>>     people so far.
>>>     On the right side I have this (but I don't see how I could add a
>>>     people's section):

>>>     --
>>>     Met vriendelijke groet,
>>>
>>>     *Jack Tummers*
>>>
>>>     Fotografie, websites, ontwerp en idee
>>>     www.jacktummers.nl <http://www.jacktummers.nl>
>>>     013 467 22 38 / 06 419 20 764

>> --
>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>>
>> *Jack Tummers*
>>
>> Fotografie, websites, ontwerp en idee
>> www.jacktummers.nl <http://www.jacktummers.nl>
>> 013 467 22 38 / 06 419 20 764

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides