[Digikam-users] Templates: ITPC subject code

H. Jürgen Karbach HJKarbach at gmx.de
Tue Apr 9 15:48:11 BST 2013

Hello Jean-François,

sorry for being so late. But our DSL-Line was broken for some days :-(.
But, hey, I'm still alive. How could i be? ;)

Am Freitag, 29. März 2013, 09:30:23 schrieb Jean-François Rabasse:
> Controlled vocabulary is a registered fixed standard and
> the rule is « use it or forget it ».

Oh. I didn't realize, that CV is a fixed standard.
I believed that it concerns with CV a general name for hierarchical listings
of concepts of one or several subject ranges; not a monolith.

What I want, are several parts of a defined set of subject codes.
Not only for my personel use; also for sharing in with other people (friends,
other photographers (togs), foto-community e.g.).
E.g. you are working / hobbying on a wedding.
If you have a managed vocabulary for wedding photos, you can tag them very
easy by general tags like "Bride", "Bride's father", Bride's mother, Groom,
...). So it would be much easier to match the pictures of all togs of a event
to one homogeneous set of tags.

Btw. Maybe it would be a good idea to extend digiKam's face detection with a
second column called "profession" or "role" or something in that way, so it
isn't in digiKam's person-database, but tagged as [role]. You already can
select it by first-time-naming a person. With the "second column you able to
name and tag in one go.

I don't want to annoy you.
But, in my opinion, to have a copy of the ITPC-subject-code fields for
individual or group purpose will be the better way. Because, beside the
description you have a field for a code that give you the option of multi-
lingual tagging in one go.

Maybe this will cause a second row at the second column. ;)

> It's also possible to « read » a vocabulary tags file and
> set all of them to a dummy image. Reading metadata from that
> image will create all tags. I happened to do such thing but
>  with a limited number of tags, several tens. Not 22000 : -)

Is there any How-To ?
Can you give me a hint?

Greetings

Jürgen Karbach