[Digikam-users] digiKam is slow

David Talmage talmage at onespeeddave.com
Fri Sep 28 15:55:07 BST 2012

I'm running digiKam 2.5.0 on an up-to-date KUbuntu 12.04 laptop. For a while,
digiKam has been very slow.  I need help making it more responsive. Since I
haven't seen many complaints recently on this list, I have to assume that it's
something I've done.  What options can I enable or disable to improve
digiKam's performance?

Here are examples of how slow it is. When selecting an album, displaying
thumbnails, selecting a picture, selecting a single new tag, or changing the
icon of a tag, it takes many seconds before the UI responds to me again. Any
operation requires over 90% of a CPU for several seconds.  I haven't minded so
much but now I have about a new hundred photos to tag.  My beard could grow
to my knees before digiKam let me finish the job. :-(

I found one suggestion that digiKam is slow with icons in tags
(http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/Digikam-very-slow-with-icons-in-tags-
td4657550.html).  I have icons in my tags.  I have hundreds of tags.

David Talmage