[Digikam-users] writing tags to the files

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Wed Sep 19 08:21:45 BST 2012

Hi Johan,

did you enable
   "[x] Save image tags as 'Keywords' tags in metadata
embedded in file"

To be found under:

  "Settings" -> "Configure digikam..." -> "Metadata" ->
"Behaviour"

This should write your tags to the IPTC and XMP Metadata in
the jpg file. (As far as I know, digiKam tags are not
written to the EXIF Metadata. But I may be wrong.)

I do check this by examining the jpg files with a hex editor
like Okteta or a hex viewer like xxd (commandline tool):

 # xxd mypicture.jpg | less

You should find your tags in the right column.
E.g. after "<digiKam:TagsList>...".

The part of viewing the tags in dolphin belongs to the topic
"semantic desktop" of KDE. "Nepomuk" is another term related
with this.

Official site: http://nepomuk.kde.org/

If you are able to read German language (or willing to
accept google translation ;), have a look at this blogpost:

http://beyondserenity.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/nepomuk_in_kde_-_theorie_und_praxis/

It is about nepomuk, digikam and KDE. (Back in 2010)

Personally, I have disabled Nepomuk by the time it was
introduced, a few years ago. But I should give it another
try now!

Regards,
	Peter