[Digikam-users] How to remove "left behind" tag tree

Jan Köster koester_jan at gmx.net
Thu Oct 25 22:06:55 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, den 25.10.2012, 16:19 -0400 schrieb Elle Stone:

> digiKam can create XMP sidecar files. It can add tags to XMP sidecar
> files. But apparently it can't remove tags from XMP sidecar files.
> Possibly it can't even read the XMP sidecar files that it created in
> the first place. Therefore XMP sidecar files can't be kept in synch
> with the database. Which makes the XMP sidecar files essentially
> useless - might as well not waste the time and CPU cycles writing tags
> at all if the tags can't be kept in synch with the database. Or so it
> seems to me.

I've had similiar experiences when trying to use the same tag structure
in different programs. I had thought that if the tags are stored in the
xmp sidecar files it would be easy to have tag trees synchronized over
different porgramms, computers or even OS.  So I intuitively also
believed that data stored in sidecar files are synchronized to data
stored in tha database and vice versa. Be it automatically or on demand.
However this does not work (for me at least, might be I'm doing
something wrong). Not even with between two installations of digikam.

DK is one of the mightiest image management tool. And I really like it a
lot. But this issue is really a blocker for me.

It would be great to know if this is a problem of philosophy or of
technology. IE is the behaviour intended to be like this (and will not
change) or are there technical limitations, problems, etc keeping DK
from synchronizing metadata between sidecar files and database?

Jan