[Digikam-users] Metadata settings when using XMP sidecar files

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:37:29 BST 2012

On 10/24/12, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> wrote:

>> When digiKam
>> created the sidecar files, obviously it read from the image file. So
>> once the sidecar file is created, what is the effect of reading or not
>> reading from the sidecar file? digiKam is the only application that
>> will write to the sidecar files.
>
> You can have it write to sidecars, but not read from them. Sense? Not much.

Is there any plan to change this behavior? Because not reading from
the sidecar files seems to preclude keeping the sidecar files in synch
with the database. Which pretty much makes the sidecar files useless
to me (perhaps useful to someone else, though how/why I can't
imagine).

If this behavior is permanent and won't be changed very soon, is there
some place in the code I can make an easy modification so that my own
copy of digiKam writes to the sidecar file? I've compiled digiKam from
source before.