[Digikam-users] How to remove "left behind" tag tree

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:27:15 BST 2012

When moving a tag with sub-tags to below another tag, so the original
tag is now part of a different tag tree, the tag-with-sub-tags still
is in the original location, too, in the xmp sidecar file, but it's
also in the new location. So it's now in the xmp sidecar file in two
locations.

How do I delete the original tag tree? It isn't showing up in the
digiKam tag tree, only in the xmp sidecar file.

Using exiftool to examine the xmp sidecar tagslist:
test-tag, test-tag/sub-test-tag, Intake/test-tag/sub-test-tag, Intake/test-tag

But in digiKam, in the tags sidepanes, only the tags under "Intake"
are shown. There is no tag-tree consisting of just
"test-tag/sub-test-tag". Rereading the metadata from the image (which
ought to reread the metadata from the sidecar file), isn't having any
affect, meaning it's not showing that the sidecar file really still
has the original tag tree in place. So there doesn't seem to be any
way to "redelete" the original tag tree.

I had this same problem when I was writing directly to the image file.
Except when writing to the actual images, eventually I was able to get
rid of the second copy, by some magic combination of selecting and
writing to all tags.

Kind regards, and hoping for some insight,
Elle Stone