[Digikam-users] GPS Reverse Geocoding

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 22 22:48:37 GMT 2012

Hello,

I wonder what the Reverse Geocoding function, in Digikam Geolocation
dialog, is expected to do ?

I did several tries, selecting images with GPS information, opened
the Reverse Geocoding folder, choose one of my base tag, Location,
then clicked on Apply reverse geocoding, then Apply.
Seemed to do nothing, at least nothing I could see.
I've even tried again, checking the box Write tags to XMP, and
generated a xmp sidecar file with no location information. :-(

Do some users use this function, how, and to do and expect what ?

Thanks,
Jean-François

PS: what I'd like to do is automatic insertion of location tags with
country and city. Technically it's possible, I wrote a small shell
script around that, working the very basic way :
- extract GPS position, latitude and longitude from the image (I used
exiftool)
- connect to a reverse locating service (I used wget to geonames.org)
- process returned information to extract country and city and add a
tag, Location/<country>/<city>, in the image file (I used exiftool to
write to Xmp.digiKam.TagsList.

All I can sayt is that it works, but it's very slow and somewhat
artisanal. I'm looking for a more regular way. Any suggestions ?