[Digikam-users] Editing Metadata

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Sun Nov 11 02:31:56 GMT 2012

On 11/11/12 04:31, quarkrad at talktalk.net wrote:
> I have installed the plugins on my version of Digikam (2.5.0) and would
> like to edit the metadata - specifically the Date the photo was taken as
> many of these are wrong in my collection.  Is this possible in Digikam?
> I can see the date (on the iptc tab) but see no way of changing it.  Any
> advice much appreciated.
>
> note.  Using Ubuntu 12.04

Quarkrad,

In digikam, select a photo, then select the menu "Image > Metadata >
Edit All Metadata". This dialog box will allow you to edit all metadata
for one photo -- if you have multiple selected it will show the metadata
for the first photo and allow you to change any value. Select "Next" to
show metadata for next photo.

Alternatively, you can edit select metadata in the Caption/Tags Sidecar.
Again in digikam, select multiple photos then edit the date in the
sidecar and hit "Apply". This applies the date selected to ALL THE
PHOTOS selected without the need to work through each one-by-one.

If you have thousands of photos you might be better of using exiv2, a
command line tool for accessing photo metadata, although using digikam
you can see what is happening.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides