[Digikam-users] How to remove "left behind" tag tree

Elle Stone l.elle.stone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:21:18 GMT 2012

Hi Marie-Noëlle,

Here's one possible approach. To be on the safe side, first create
backup copies of all the images and put them somewhere digiKam isn't
looking. Also make a backup copy of the digiKam database.

Then use exiftool to locate and delete all the tagging metadata from
the images themselves (from the images digiKam is managing, not from
the backup copies). Also delete any digiKam XMP sidecar files.

Temporarily set digiKam up to not write any metadata to images or to
digiKam xmp sidecar files (just write to the database) and clean up
the tag tree in the digiKam database. It goes a lot faster if digiKam
is writing only to the database, and you can delete and rearrange tags
without fear of creating a new set of unwanted tags.

When you are finished deleting and rearranging all the tags in the
database, there won't be any remnant unwanted tags in the image
metadata (having removed them with exiftool) or in any existing XMP
sidecars (because they were already deleted). So when everything is
exactly like you want, you can write out the desired tag trees to XMP
sidecars or back to the image files, whichever you want. And this time
digiKam won't get confused when it "synchronizes" while writing out
the tags.

Send me a private email and I can help with the exiftool commands.
digiKam writes tags, captions, rating, and etc to a number of
different locations (eg digiKam xmp tags, lightroom xmp tags,
microsoft xmp tags), and exiftool can remove whatever needs to be
removed.

I just went through this procedure with all of my own images and I
took notes along the way. I ended up finding and removing a ton of
old, unwanted metadata left behind by various DAM softwares that I've
used at one time or another.

Kind regards,
Elle

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Articles and tutorials on open source digital imaging and photography