[Digikam-users] Feature request.

Porn Virus porn.spam.virus at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:48:11 BST 2012

Hello, and thanks very much for the DigiKam/ShowFoto application. I use
it a lot, and occasionally use GIMP. This is an independent
outside-origin email for the developers; I'm not a member of the DigiKam
users homepage and have not mentioned this matter inside the relevant
forums.

Just a quick request for a couple of additional features:

Since many computer users have a dual monitor setup, it would be nice to
have another Composition Guide within the Aspect Ratio Crop function.
When I edit a given image for use as a dual-screen desktop picture, it's
visually relevant to crop and divide the image, such that the physical
split between two monitors isn't too distracting. To aid in such
"crop-composition", a simple horizontal and vertical cross formation
would be very useful into the Geometric form set of choices. The
diagonals, triangles, and divisions-into-thirds are of no help, when
dividing an image into exactly half. This would save some time when
adjusting the final desktop image to look the best, when physically
divided by two screens.

Additionally, to have an "Instant Desktop" preview button somewhere
within the options, would make it easy to test-view the final edit of
the given desktop background picture.

There may not be much demand for such options, but they would aid in
editing a dual-screen desktop image. If any DigiKam/ShowFoto developers
use two (or more) monitors, they could try editing an image and see for
themselves how much quicker it may be, without using the separate "Set
as Desktop Background" function within the standard image viewer. Would
there be a way to add a "Desktop Background" function within DigiKam?

Thanks very much for the application so far. It's improved over time and
is easier to use than GIMP, but could use a couple of extra features.
I've used your application intensively for years, am quite familiar with
its major functions, and am very happy with it.

- Grateful user.

PS - I've noticed that when I'm working on very large files, DigiKam
freezes and will not work with those huge images.

Also, it might be nice to have a "Keep same quality level as original"
(in percentages?) when saving a final image; this would assume some way
to determine the image quality at the start of editing or re-editing an
image. And if anyone wishes to see or try various long-horizonal-aspect
images, and to check the visual appearance when an image is divided
between two physical monitors, feel free to view several examples
(mostly borrowed web images, re-edited) at:
http://syntheticidea.deviantart.com/ . I've tried to form the final
images so they're not too distracting when seen on two monitors. The
central "division line" seems important to get the best-looking image
possible, without little distractions located at that half-way
division-line, separating two monitors. Sorry for my poor descriptions
and explanations here.

And only for Linux geeks: I hope the OS Geek Chart may be of some
amusement. Don't worry: all operating system users are screwed in this
snide "artistic work", but Linux users least of all. Here are the links:
http://addressunlisted.deviantart.com/art/OS-Geek-Chart-Anim-PNG-960p-176970150?q=gallery%3Aaddressunlisted%2F26276728&qo=1
<http://addressunlisted.deviantart.com/art/OS-Geek-Chart-Anim-PNG-960p-176970150?q=gallery%3Aaddressunlisted%2F26276728&qo=1>
and additionally
http://addressunlisted.deviantart.com/art/OS-Geek-Chart-Anim-GIF-960p-176969657?q=gallery%3Aaddressunlisted%2F26276728&qo=2
<http://addressunlisted.deviantart.com/art/OS-Geek-Chart-Anim-GIF-960p-176969657?q=gallery%3Aaddressunlisted%2F26276728&qo=2>
. You may have to stare at the thing for a few minutes before
understanding how ridiculous it is... In such an animation, any image
occupying a certain space is considered equal to or related to any other
image in that same spot, and progressions and relations may be implied.
I have other similar animations elsewhere, but won't bother you with the
details. This one is bad enough! (Of course, DigiKam was used for
initial editing and cropping, while GIMP made the animated GIFs, and the
Java Animated PNG Editor formed the animated PNGs.) Bye