[Digikam-users] BUG? move to album / overwrite destination problem

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 16 09:39:43 BST 2012

Hello,

I happened, at some occasions, to use hard links in a (maybe) similar way
as John does (have a folder with a bunch of images and some other folders
with selected images subsets).

I confirm Digikam doesn't recognize/handle links. When pathnames are
different, the images are seen as different even if it's the same file,
and database entries are different too.

What I used to do for final cleanup after tagging/rating/indexing was :
  - Run the « Find duplicates » function on the root folder (nearest root
    above linked images),
    As linked files are the same, obviously the two images are found to
    be duplicates,
  - In the duplicates search results view, set the display filter to
    show only unrated/untagged images,
  - Select all, Ctrl-A, then delete.
  - After that, move, reorganise the remainding (rated/tagged) images.

(This worked well. I must say I no longer work like that. Now I tend to
copy SD-card content into a new folder, then browse the images and tag
those I want to keep, then move them into a final folder, then work.
The original folder with remainding images is only there in case
I would feel remorse.)

Regards,
Jean-François

PS: I have an off-topic question, about something Remco wrote in his
answer :

> Also, storing metadata in the image files isn't recommended for RAW files
> (and perhaps a bad idea for original out-of-camera jpgs as well).

I've often read that kind of warning, on this list. From my naive point
of view, embedded metadata records, EXIF, XMP, sounds to be a nice thing
as one keeps all image information into one file. (And XMP sidecar files
doesn't seem to interoperate well betwen different applications.)

I'd be really interested in learning what could be potential problems and
why this seems to be a not recommended practice. Are there reasons related
to the libexiv2 to be not that stable and reliable, and writing metadata
could corrupt or destroy the file ? Or are there other reasons ?
Thanks for making that point become clearer to me.