[Digikam-users] Off-line Collection Browsing & DB cleanup

Jean-François Rabasse jean-francois.rabasse at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 15 13:36:22 BST 2012

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Nick Anderson wrote:

> I know several photographers who until recently had been burning DVDs.
>
> It isn't a huge issue since I am using a NAS and I have all my pictures
> there. But just thinking about someone who has a large collection of DVDs or
> CDs trying to hunt down an image pains me. I suppose there is separate
> software to catalog an optical disc collection but it seems like DK already
> has all the needed stuff minus exposing it in the UI.

Many thanks Nick, this is the perfect example of the usefulness of a
regular off-line data support.

1. Images collections on CD are always off-line. If it may be common for
someone to have a few dozens of CD/DVD, it's unlikely to have also a few
dozens of CD readers plugged onto the computer.

2. Images on CD aren't expected to be editable/processable
(even on CD/RW:-), so physical presence of the file isn't mandatory
and any built thumbnail would be up to date forever.

So, being able to read/index a CD, get images pathnames, read metadata,
build thumbnails, etc., then put back the CD into its box, could be
really helpful for future indexing, browsing, searching, along with
other images on the local disk.

Regards,
Jean-François