[Digikam-users] Off-line Collection Browsing & DB cleanup

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Sun May 13 15:03:51 BST 2012

On 13/05/12 14:34, Jean-François Rabasse wrote:

> 2. On my desktop fixed drive, I have a complete directories tree of all
> of my folders, albums, subalbums, but without the images files.
> Instead, original images are replaced by small versions.

> 5. And, obviously, when I want, after searching my folders, to get some
> original images files to do something with, prints, web album, other,
> I need to plug my external drive(s) and access files by pathnames, as
> it's the same albums structure with only a different mount point.

> I agree this may seem a bit weird, but I have no better idea to work
> with off-line collections and, as for me, I get stuck to the idea of
> working with removeable media. (In a few years from now, perhaps all of
> our images will be « in the clouds » :-)
>
> Maybe some other users could feed this issue with ideas and hints.

Sounds a good idea: I might set that up on my laptop which doesn't have
space for all my pictures.

I guess you could do the swapping between reduced-size collection and
full-size collection with symlinks (on non-Windows systems) e.g. have
your digikam root directory be a symlink to either your reduced-size
image tree or the mount-point of your external drive. (You'd have to
arrange things so your digikam database isn't in the dk root directory)

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk