[Digikam-users] How to use geolocation?

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Tue May 8 19:44:25 BST 2012

I'm trying to understand the geolocation function. I'm assuming it
should allow you to assign geographical latitude and longitude
coordinates to images, similarly to the way one can apply them to one's
videos on YouTube.

If I select the geolocation icon on the right hand sidebar I get a map
of the world as seen from space with 'AMERICA' 'AFRICA' etc marked on it
and, below that 'Altitude:' 'Latitude:' 'Longitude:' and 'Date:' (all
blank) and a row of buttons below; but all this is greyed out and
nothing seems to do anything.

If I select the 'Map' icon on the top menu bar I get a map of part of
Holland. I have a row of buttons at the bottom like those in the sidebar
but these are in colour and my 'Map settings' button gives me a menu:
Google maps / Marble Virtual Globe (currently ticked) / Atlas map
(ticked) / Open street map ...etc. I can drag the map across to roughly
the location I wish to apply to my pictures but it only shows towns a
few tens of kilometres apart, and there seem no way to associate the
location with pictures.

If I select an image, or images, in my Thumbnail view, and choose menu
Image -> Geolocation I get a pop-up titled "Geolocation - digiKam" with
another low-resolution map, but I can search for a specific location. I
can then select image(s) in a pane at bottom-left of this pop-up window
and I would guess that pressing 'Apply' should mark the selected images
with the coordinates of my chosen location. But the Apply button doesn't
seem, visibly, to do anything and when I 'Close' the Geolocation pop-up
window and go back to my Thumbnails view in the main dK window I can't
see any difference in the images I've tried to tag e.g. the
right-sidebar geolocation window is still a globe view, greyed out.

I've tried the digiKam help page but that shows the geolocation window
in colour displaying a map of a smaller portion of the planet the
hemisphere mine is showing, and doesn't say how to get to that sort of
display.

Any help would be much appreciated!

--
John Stumbles                                    http://stumbles.org.uk