[Digikam-users] (no subject) Bad embedded preview

botta at pik-potsdam.de botta at pik-potsdam.de
Thu May 3 09:18:43 BST 2012

Anders Stedtlund <falolaf at gmail.com> wrote:

> It might be the same problem for you anyway, the DNG is not showing
> the embeded preview.

This is possible but it does not explain why DNG decoding works
fine (Edit) while DNG previewing sucks.

My understanding at this point is that DNG previewing is based on some
hard-wired decoding algorithm which is not controllable by user-defined
settings.

There have been suggestions for redesigning the "Thumbnail click action"
and the "Embedded preview loads full-sized images" settings because of
similar issues, see for instance:

http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/Bug-205776-New-quot-Embedded-preview-loads-full-image-size-quot-does-not-only-do-what-it-says-confuss-td1718583i40.html

In fact, the main problem with digikam since I have used it has always
been that it is difficult for users to get consistent results, in
particular for RAW files previewing and decoding.

My impression is that the algorithms are fine but the UI needs some
cleanup / redesign.

Best,
Nicola