[Digikam-users] testing XMP fixes, git not compiling / configuring

Benjamin Girault benjamin.girault at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 20:10:49 BST 2012

2012/3/25 jon piesing <jon33040 at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Now I've got the version from git to compile (thanks!!), is it possible to install it alongside an existing install of a released version of digikam or does it have to replace the existing installation?
> Currently I have 2.5.0 with the main binary installed as /usr/bin/digikam.

Here is what I did on my computer:

Instead of -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`, use
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<directory where you want digikam to be>. For
example, I use $HOME/Binaries. Then after your cmake [...], make, make
install, you will have digikam binaries in $HOME/Binaries/bin.
However, to start it, you need to do the following:

$ cd $HOME/binaries/bin
$ KDEDIRS=$HOME/Binaries ./digikam

The big advantage of this is that you don't need to be root to install
digikam, hence you won't mess your system...

--
Benjamin.