[Digikam-users] xmp sidecar interoperability within open source projects

Mark Hayes (Hotmail) mark_hayes_1973 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 05:34:44 GMT 2012

Dear all,

Just a very quick question about xmp sidecar interoperability between open
source projects. I have seen a few e-mails lamenting the lack of
interoperability - some commenting on the fact that some files are
overwritten by others and that some simple data such as ratings can't get
picked up by other projects.

I am not a coder - so have a simplistic view on this... And I'm trying to
understand - but is there any real reason for this lack of interoperability?

In your opinions, what level of interoperability should be available
between open source projects that use xmp sidecars? What would be your
preferences on how they dealt with each other?

It just occurs to me that if we can fully define the problem, maybe we can
encourage improvement.

The open source community may be large in itself, but the group of larger
players in the open source photography management and/or manipulation side
of things is probably still quite small in terms of projects and/or coders.
Maybe we can get them to agree on methods to help improve xmp data
collaboration between programs?

For me, at least, I would like to see the following:

* An agreed naming convention might help - to ensure that they don't tread
on each others toes.
* Either one 'super' xmp file, that they all write into (but ignore the
other program's data), or individual files, that are sufficiently
differentiated that they don't overwrite each other.
* The ability to see if the file already has a star rating from another
program and allow an option to transfer this to the new program.
* The ability to read tags/keywords and import them (and any hierarchies)
if preferred.
* The ability to export all xmp data or embed it into the metadata of a
derivative JPG or PNG etc (possibly including data from other programs too)
when you export/convert a RAW file.
* Able to play nicely with non-free software, at the same time, without
causing problems to their xmp files would be an advantage.

How about you folks? Any suggestions on what you would like to see? What
would make life easier in terms of how you work and manage files between
your open source programs (and even non-free programs)?

As I say, if we can define the issues, maybe we can address the problem
with the relevant parties. Get them around the virtual table to talk etc.

Looking forward to hearing what suggestions or comments you might have.

Thanks,

Mark.