[Digikam-users] Ratings, keywords missing from RAW to JPG outside Digikam 2.5. (Linux, Opensuse 11.4)

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Sun Mar 11 16:24:20 GMT 2012

>> -----------
>>  From the digikam handbook:
>>
>> "The dual approach to store metadata in a database and in the image
>> files guarantees ultra fast searching and secure archiving freely
>> accessible to other applications, platforms and formats."
>> -----------
> (Martin)
> This is true, but as I want my raw files unaltered (and writing data
> into canon raw files is only experimental) I never do this for raw
> files. But jpeg and png is fine.
>
> This is not only possible with digikam. But writing config data to
> sidecar files is not that old and not standardized. So i.e. darktable
> uses a different set of data than digikam. I hope that one day all open
> source programs use one way to write xmp sidecar files.

Now, this is not quite what I expected, but I will have to live with it.
I tagged a JPG, the TAG was visible in showfoto, so that works.

Maybe you can help with the following questions:
My tagged RAW files don't have XMP sidecars yet, I assume the
information is in the SQLite database used by Digikam, not in the files.

- Which settings are nessesary/possible to generate now XMP sidecars
from the existing available database information? This could probably
help with the 2nd question.

- The RAW files will processed into JPGs via the UFRaw/GIMP combination.
Do I have an option for getting TAGs from RAW to JPG? The files will
have the same names apart from the suffix.

Peter