[Digikam-users] Ratings, keywords missing from RAW to JPG outside Digikam 2.5. (Linux, Opensuse 11.4)

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Sat Mar 10 13:54:20 GMT 2012

>> (Marie-Noƫlle Augendre)
>> I don't think metadata are actually written in RAW files.
I assumed from the settings description that it were possible.

> (Martin)
> And imho writing into raw files is a bad idea. raw is your original and
> should never be altered. XMP side car files is the way to go but sadly
> there is no standard way to handle it.

-----------
 From the digikam handbook:

"The dual approach to store metadata in a database and in the image
files guarantees ultra fast searching and secure archiving freely
accessible to other applications, platforms and formats."

I would accept that writing into the original may not be a good idea,
but it should be possible writing into a copy. It would be rather
limiting if ratings, keywords and copyright remarks can only be read
with Digikam.

Peter