[Digikam-users] trouble with image degradation using DK with kipi-plugin: flickr export

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 21:28:23 GMT 2012

On 04/03/12 18:14, Jean-François Rabasse wrote:
> I agree with you about « make the best of what there is », except for
> the web. IMHO, the world wide web is a world wide system, and the best
> is what concern world wide users. This is no longer a technical issue
> but a matter of interoperability. To how many users do we wish to show
> our images, whatever they use as web browers, smartphones, etc.
> It may change in a future, (color profiles support), but it's not the
> case today.

I think we basically agree about this in fact, but you are not quite
understanding what I was saying. To answer your points above, I agree
that the KDE software should encourage the use of sRGB, at least for
when images are targeted for display on the web, to ensure the greatest
amount of interoperability with current software, including non-KDE
software. But we cannot prevent people from making other choices. There
are many valid reasons for wanting to use a different colour space,
which is after all why the other colour spaces exist in the first place.
So it would be very good to get an option in the various web upload
plugins in digikam to convert the images to sRGB as part of the upload,
possibly even make it the default action. But if the user chooses not to
do that then any pre-existing embedded profile should be preserved
through the resize process.

What I was saying was not about new images created or edited by KDE
software but that in order for the KDE software to be able to best cope
with images that are not in sRGB but do have an embedded ICC profile
then that should result in an image that can be displayed properly
directly on the user's computer. Currently Gwenview seems to be ignoring
the embedded profile. This is just a bug that should be fixed IMO. This
has nothing to do with non-KDE software nor anything to do with display
on the web. I have the file locally and it is not rendered correctly by
the KDE software I have on this machine.

Andrew