[Digikam-users] Controlled vocabulary (John Stumbles) Digikam-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 35

jim junk junk_jim at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:55:18 GMT 2012

Maybe you need to look at IPTC data used by journalists to tag photos.  http://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/GenericGuidelines/index.htm?turl=Documents%2Fiptccoreimagesection.htm

Notice that I don't believe that IPTC supports hierarchies.

They have been using IPTC for a while so they may must have worked out the bugs.  I assume they have done something similar for XMP.

Personally I use the standard-

People
Places
Events

Plus top tags like-

Animals
Plants

I also find Digikam a bit difficult to use regarding hierarchies.  To me it seems reasonable that if you select the bottom item in a hierarchy that you also want the ones above and I think it works that way but it's a bit confusing.  So if under the xmp tab if you look at the subject line you only see the final item but if you look at the tags list then you see the hierarchy.  If you use the the left pane window and click on the tags it seems to work.

Notice that I don't believe that IPTC supports hierarchies.  So the IPTC will only show the bottom item.  Hierarchies are what makes XMP so valuable.

I use Digikam 2.1.1