[Digikam-users] How to use versioning?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sat Jun 16 15:12:55 BST 2012

Am 16.06.2012 14:58, schrieb Andreas Mair:
> Hello,
>
> 2012/6/16 Daniel Bauer <linux at daniel-bauer.com>:

>> I was one of these who were confused... and understood it only after
>> explanations here.
>
> What explanations do you refer to exactly?
> I still see no change in the results, no matter if I use "Save" or
> "Save as new version".

I was referring to the explanations received here:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/2012-March/016020.html

I don't use versioning, but us much as I understand (please correct
anybody who knows better if I'm wrong):

when versioning enabled:

- "save" will write a new file that is *connected* to the last file
(considered as a step further that can be undone later). Usually only
this last saved version will be visible in the album (you can change
that in the settings).

"Save as new version" will write a new file that is *not* connected with
the last file. You will see both, the last version and the new version
in the album. The new file is considered like an original and you can
start versioning with this new file (later using "save" only)
independent of the "original-original"-file and its versions...

Anything UN-cleared? :-)

>> However I must confess that the included help texts are very clear and say
>> it all, one just has to look at it :-)
>
> What included help texts do you mean? The tooltips of the two save
> buttons?

the info-texts in the settings-dialog where you can en/disable
versioning and the hovering texts over the save-options in the dialogs

Well, at least the German translation makes me think "Save as
> new version" is the right one.

I also use the German translation.

However, I think whether you use versioning or not depends on your
personal needs and taste. I, me, for my self, prefer to decide myself
when I need a "snapshot" (and therefor save it with "save as" -
versioning disabled - under a new name) and keep track of my versions
with my own personal system of folders and names.

But I understand that many people like to have these tasks kind of
automated. They always see the last result and can easily go back to
earlier versions without having to remember to save them manually at the
time or later remember which was what step...

For me it's great that I can disable versioning, I hope it will stay
like this ;-)

kind regards

Daniel

personal facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mars.fotografo