[Digikam-users] Import metadata from sidecar files

Klunz k_klunz at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 20:53:19 BST 2012

Hello everyone,

I have managed my photo collection with Apple Aperture for the last 4 years, and now would like to switch to Digikam, under Gentoo Linux.
My collection consists of CR2-raw-files as well as jpegs. Most pictures are rated and tagged with keywords.

As I dont want to touch the raws, I exported my entire collection with xmp-sidecar files.

I installed digikam, and, after reading that a couple of problems with xmp-sidecar files were fixed in 2.6.0 switched to that version (which is still in the unstable branch in gentoo).
My component information now looks like this:

digiKam version 2.6.0
Exiv2 kann in JP2 speichern: Ja
Exiv2 kann in JPEG speichern: Ja
Exiv2 kann in PGF speichern: Ja
Exiv2 kann in PNG speichern: Ja
Exiv2 kann in TIFF speichern: Ja
Exiv2 unterstützt XMP-Metadaten: Ja
LibCImg: 130
LibClapack: Externe gemeinsame Bibliothek
LibExiv2: 0.21.1
LibJPEG: 80
LibJasper: 1.900.1
LibKDE: 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
LibKExiv2: 2.1.0
LibKGeoMap: 2.0.0
LibKdcraw: 2.0.1
LibLCMS: 119
LibLensFun: Externe gemeinsame Bibliothek
LibLqr: Interne Bibliothek
LibPGF: 6.11.32 - Externe gemeinsame Bibliothek
LibPNG: 1.5.10
LibQt: 4.8.1
LibRaw: 0.14.4
LibTIFF: LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.1 Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Marble-Funktion: 0.13.0 (stable release)
Parallelisiertes Entfernen von Mosaikmustern: Ja
Datenbanktreiber: QSQLITE
LibGphoto2: 2.4.12
LibKface: 2.0.0
LibKipi: 1.3.0
LibOpenCV: 2.3.1
Libface: 0.2

I enabled in the Metadata-options:
*Write all information into metadata
*Read  from sidecar files
*Write to sidecar files
*Write only to xmp-sidecar files
*do NOT write to Raw files

With this setup, when I added the folder to digikam, no xmp-metadata was read (exif worked flawlessly).
Even when selecting a single photo, and then going to Picture->Metadata->Import XMP, nothing is imported.
Interestingly, when doing the above with jpegs, simply nothing happens.
For the CR2s, I get an error message, that no metadata was read for that file.

This leads to my questions:
1.) The bugfixes concerning xmp-sidecar were implemnted throug a new version of libkexiv2, at least thats how I understood it. So simply installing digikam 2.6.0 does not neccesarily fix the problem. Do I have the correct component versions or is something wrong here?

2.) The name of a picture, sidecar combinations are for example IMG_9015.crc IMG_9015.XMP. Is this correct?

3.) An example sidecar file has the following format:
<?xpacket begin='' id=''?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='XMP toolkit 2.9-9, framework 1.6'>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#' xmlns:iX='http://ns.adobe.com/iX/1.0/'>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:Iptc4xmpCore='http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/xmlns/'>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:photoshop='http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/'>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
    <dc:subject><rdf:Bag>
        <rdf:li>Nora</rdf:li>
        <rdf:li>Tanja</rdf:li>
        <rdf:li>Nora</rdf:li>
        <rdf:li>Tanja</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag></dc:subject>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:photomechanic='http://ns.camerabits.com/photomechanic/1.0/'>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:xap='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/'>
    <xap:Rating>0</xap:Rating>
</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>
<?xpacket end='w'?>

Is this format correct or could there be a problem?

4.) Am I missing something and the problem is somewhere else? What else could lead to the described behaviour and how could I fix it?

Thank you all very much in advance. I am really keen to fully use digikam, I just dont want to lose all the metadata I put into the pictures, that really took a lot of time :-/

Greetings
Tobi