[Digikam-users] Separate instances of digikam, different album trees, same machine?

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Wed Jun 6 01:55:02 BST 2012

Why would you do this manually? To great a chance to miss something.

Albums are just directory trees. Use a directory comparison tool like
FreeFileSync (Linux) or AllwaySync (Windows) to identify missing photos
or photos that do not match in size. Then look at them in Digikam.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

http://allwaysync.com/

On 06/06/12 10:48, Claude Gélinas wrote:
> What I would like to see is to be able to open two differents albums at
> the same time in the same DK. Is it possible ? It would allow me to
> compare photo in the two album to see if they are the same or if some
> are missing etc.
>
>> Hmm, I had never thought of this until I read this thread, but would
>> assume it would work:
>> Can two users (e.g. userA and userB) be simultaneously running their
>> own, unique, instances of digikam?

>>> Hello John,
>>>
>>> It's possible if you're not reluctant to a bit of shell scripting.
>>> (Or copy/paste my example below.)
>>> I do the same thing and have two « DK environments », with
>>> different DB and folders trees.
>>>
>>> DK can be run with a command line option specifying the directory
>>> which hosts the database. But DK also uses a configuration file and
>>> this one is
>>> unique, so tricking this requires some preconfiguration.
>>>
>>> 1. I have my standard (main) DK configuration set.
>>>
>>> 2. I wrote a shell script to run my auxiliary DK configuration
>>>     (It's named dkaux and is somewhere in my PATH, e.g. $HOME/bin)
>>>
>>> This script does the following :
>>> --
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> #
>>>
>>> # Define aux base directory
>>> DBASE=/somewhere/on/disk
>>>
>>> # Save current RC configuration file
>>> DCONF=${HOME}/.kde4/share/config/digikamrc
>>> test -f ${DCONF}&&  mv ${DCONF} ${DCONF}.bak
>>>
>>> # Install aux RC file if exists
>>> test -f ${DCONF}.aux&&  mv ${DCONF}.aux ${DCONF}
>>>
>>> # Start DK on aux directory (and wait, no trailing&)
>>> digikam --database-directory ${DBASE} 2>  /dev/null
>>>
>>> # When done, restore RC configuration to standard
>>> mv ${DCONF} ${DCONF}.aux
>>> test -f ${DCONF}.bak&&  mv ${DCONF}.bak ${DCONF}
>>>
>>> # That's all !
>>> --
>>>
>>> Well, it works well (at least for me:-), and it's possible to
>>> extend the idea and write 2, 3 or more starting scripts, dkaux1,
>>> dkaux2, etc., with different base directories and RC files.
>>>
>>> The major problem is that you can't start at the same time two DK
>>> instances,
>>> and get two DK main windows, the main tree and the aux tree.
>>> No magic, as DK uses a single fixed RC configuration file the above
>>> can't be reentrant.
>>>
>>> Hope this could help,
>>> Jean-François
>>>

>>> PS: wish list: a great idea would be that future versions of DK
>>> could also
>>> accept the RC file on command line. That would allow starting with:
>>>   digikam --database-directory /...
>>> --configuration-file /....digikamrc and managing different systems
>>> with shell aliases.

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides