[Digikam-users] Digikam not recognising already downloaded photos

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Sun Jul 29 14:51:23 BST 2012

Well I've just done some more testing.

First with USB reader and new photo on card, this is detected as new and
downloaded. I then closed digikam and re-opened and went to import from
card again and it was recognised as already downloaded. So looks like
USB reader does work OK.

Same photo accessed by plugging in camera and using autodetected camera
option shows photo as new, downloaded anyway and overwrote existing and
then showed up as already downloaded. I then selected the pre-defined
option for the camera and this same photo showed up as new. Closing and
re-opening digikam and the photo on the camera comes up as new on both
options.

Now from what I have seen here it does look like digikam considers the
origin of the photo (ie card reader or specific camera) as to whether or
not the photo is new. This is I suppose OK as people are likely to have
more than one camera, however this falls down when using a card reader
as all cards will be considered as the same device irrespective of which
camera they are from.

So as far as I can tell from this we have a problem with digikam and
cameras, now it also seems that gphoto is involved in this as well but I
dont know if gphoto actually does the determination of new or if this is
within digikam.

The bottom line here is that there IS a bug and to be honest it is also
a regression since this always used to work when I first started with
1.8 and 1.9 of digikam. I also feel it is quite important to resolve
this since for me one of the big advantages was to be able to use my
camera directly and just hit download new.

Stuart