[Digikam-users] How to move a digikam collection

Anders Stedtlund falolaf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 11:21:00 BST 2012

2012/7/29 jdd <jdd at dodin.org>:
> Le 29/07/2012 09:29, Anders Stedtlund a écrit :
>

>> Now you are talking about existential questions. That's another
>> direction. Me myself don't believe in a life after death, rather a
>> life before death. So for me what happens with my images after my own
>> death is irrelevant. It might not be irrelevant for my relatives
>> though...
>

> I don't want to begin philosophic discussion, but technical one.
>
> I'm 66 and nobody in my neiborhood seems to care about managing the photo
> collection I have (they like to look at it though), so I wonder what will be
> the safest way to make them easily available if ever I can't manage then
> anymore (even being alive).
>
> for now hard drive and chronological sorting seems the best (and metadata
> storage)

Yeah, that was a detour..

I have all my images sorted in folders by date. Then have metadata in
db and xmp-sidecar files.

One way is to have the metadata in the image files but as that's
experimental for raw it seems not be an option. I'm also against to
alter the image files in general so...

xmp-sidecar is the prefered way for me. Unfortunately there is no
standard way there.

On the other hand there will probably not be an abrupt discontinuation
of the used software so one might migrate over time.

/Anders