[Digikam-users] ICC file for Ricoh GXR

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jul 16 07:38:24 BST 2012

Am 15.07.2012 23:17, schrieb Marie-Noëlle Augendre:
> You don't need an ICC profile for your camera in order to treat RAW.
> It's for your computer screen that one would be handy (although not
> mandatory, especially at the beginning); but you'll have to buy some
> sensor to calibrate yourself you own device. A Datacolo Spyder for
> example: http://spyder.datacolor.com/

Oh, not quite right. In theory you need a ICC profile for every device
you use in your colour process. Usually these are
- Scanner
- Photo camera
- Monitor
- Printer

But it is NOT sufficient to use one profile for every device. You have
to create one for every combination of hardware that affects colour
presentation. For your camera this is usually light and lenses. For your
Printer you have to profile all types of inks with all types of paper
you use.

Where Marie is right (IMHO): You usually don't need a camera profile.
Only if you need exact colour reproduction under different conditions
(like technical product photography) with different devices it is
recomendet.

It is way more important to get the white balance right.

But if you want to do serious photo editing with your computer you need
a calibrated monitor.

Martin