[Digikam-users] Moving files outside digikam / digikam automation

Ben Staude sben1783 at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 30 20:58:15 GMT 2012

Hi all,

is it safe to move files and/or folders around within the digiKam root
directory using bash, perl and the like? Do I get exactly the same entries in
the database as if I moved them around from within digikam, or will there be
additional "garbage" entries or duplicates in the database that wouldn't exist
when using digiKam for moving files around? Will all metadata always survive
such action (metadata not saved to images)?

Background: I'm looking for ways to automate the process of dividing big
folders (like 2GB of images coming from SD card) into small ones. My approach
currently would be to write a script that is called via RMB->"Open With" on
multiple selected images (like all pictures of a single birthday, holiday
trip, ...) and moves these selected images to a folder that is automagically
created by the script.
If there's any better solution for automation tasks like this, please let me
know! I'm afraid there is no such thing like a perl interface for digikam? :(

Thanks in advance
Ben